University of Okoboji Winter Games History
- 1st Year for Slap Shot Hockey and the Okoboji Underwater Search and Rescue Demo
- Chairpersons: Blain Andera and Sue Laue
- Cheerleaders: Brenda Dryer, Twyla Garnmeister, Margaret Northey, Andrea Schwarck, Jeff Schwarck, Toby Shine, Mike Stineman, Rick Wiersma
- 1st year of the Little Sioux Off-Road Challenge.
- This was the 1st year that the RIDES bus transported people from event to event.
- Chairpersons: Blain Andera and Chad Schuchert
- Cheerleaders: Ruth Schwarck, Gene Reed, Bob Reed, Gloria Currell, Bob Curell, Edna Wattier, Carole Ayres, Emil Richter
- Warm weather! New York Times was here and the University of Okoboji Winter Games made the 8th page article on 1/28/02.
- Extraveganza was moved to the Green Space now known as Preservation Plaza for the Bonfire and Fireworks Extravaganza due to ice condtions.
- Chairpersons: Chad Schuchert and Jeff Smith
- Cheerleaders: Molly Rohlfsen, Don Greagerson, Marge Gregerson, Alex DenHerder, Blain Andera, Darwin Pike, Larry Stoller, Bob Shaw
- The Iowa Rock n Roll Musuem opens its doors.
- Hy-Vee sponsors a “Turkey Bowling” game
- Chairpersons: Jeff Smith and Terry Veldman
- Cheerleaders: Father James Bruch, Carole Caviness, Gary Caviness, Ann Ditsworth, June Goldman, Steve Schwaller, Greg Stevens, Ron Walker
- Chairpersons: Terry Veldman and Randy Cornwall
- Cheerleaders: John Adams, Steve Anderson, Phyllis Kempema, Pat McGill, Cary Parker, Mike Peschon, Chad Schuchert, Barb Tagami
- First year of the Texas Hold’Em tournament and first year of the Red Hat Luncheon
- Chairpersons: Randy Cornwall and Abbey Larson-Heimensen
- Cheerleaders: Carla Beckendorf, Russ Beckendorf, Kevin Kuhlman, Abbey Larson-Heimensen, Gary Owen, Randy Rohlfsen, Jeff Smith, Brad Tifft
- Chairpersons: Lance Evans and Abby Larson-Heimensen
- Cheerleaders: Wynette Moore, Larry Traughber, Phil Peterson, Wally Jorgensen, Lance Evans, Tracy Evans, Amanda Lippon, Audrey Kuhlman
- Chairpersons: Lance Evans and Collin Heimensen
- Cheerleaders: Julie Fillenwarth, Joe VaderLaan, Erin Roe, Collin Heimensen, Mary Thunhorst, Terry Klein, Anitra Wolf, Matt Richter
- 1st year of the ArtsLIVE People Project and Hill Ave.
- Indoor mini golf tournament with Spirit Lake Chamber businesses.
- Chairpersons: Lance Evans and Molly Gildemeister-Sorensen
- Cheerleaders: Dr. Steven Baskerville, Dr. Randy Cornwall, Tim Horsman, Mary Kennedy, Bill Maas, Greg Richards, Tom Tourville, and Gary Zeman
- Grand Old Opre at the SAMI Center generated $12,000 for the Mini Wakan Shelter restoration. Also set a record for attendance!
- First year of the NW Bank Tailgate dinner in the Pavilion
- Chairpersons: Molly Gildemeister-Sorensen and John Adams Jr.
- Cheerleaders: John Adams Jr., Michelle Adams, Bill Eich, Janelle Holter, Dennis Lippon, Dave Rowley, Julie Scheib, Tonja Vanbee
- Chairpersons: John Adams, Jr. and Janelle Holter
- Cheerleaders: Dan Delperdang, Brett Hetland, Jeff Knapp, Di Lorenzen, Joe Meyer, Bob Miller, Stacy Rosemore, Jane Shuttleworth
- Chairpersons: Janelle Holter and Jeff Thee
- Cheerleaders: Kathy Lockey, Wayne Northey, Marty Spies, Denny Perry, Walt Homan, Beryl Marra, Jan Bowles, Steve Lindeberg
- Okoboji Country Inn hosted the first WG Farkle Tournament
- Guns ‘n Hoses’ inaugural boot hockey tournament
- Chairpersons: Jeff Thee and Erin Roe
- Cheerleaders: Mary Freiborg, Brad & Teresa Beck, Curt Petersen, Molly Sorensen, Shaun Arneson, Mary Treynor, John Senn
- Business Today & Corner Lanes hosted the first indoor U of O Winter Games Bowling Tournament.
- 2012 marked the inaugural Guns ‘n Hoses Boot Hockey Tournament.
- Chairpersons: Erin Roe & Jeremy Morrison
- Cheerleaders: Jantina Carney, Jamie Jostand, Jen Johnson, Matt Schmeling, Scott Trautman, Norm Johnson, Rachelle Fratzke & Marlys Nichols.
- First year the Iowa Craft Brew Tent appeared at the games setting up “shop” in the Roof Garden.
- Chairpersons: Jeremy Morrison & Alison Schmitz
- Cheerleaders: Jennifer Gustafson, Brian Richter, Gary Rosemore, Lissa Potter, Scott Pyle, Terry Veldman, John Wills & Chris Yungbluth.
- First year of the Brain Freeze Trivia & Scavenger Hunt sponsored by Bierl Carpet One.
- 125 brave souls took the Polar Plunge to raise funds for the Arnolds Park/Okoboji Fire & Rescue.
- 2014 also marks the first year of the Sled Head Breakfast for the United Methodist Camp.
- First year that the Barefoot Bar/Okoboji Boat Works had a bus transporting people to and from Smith’s Bay back to Parks Marina.
- Chairpersons: Alison Schmitz & Nick Stauss
- Cheerleaders: Dan & Jane Hummel, Jim & Marjo Hietbrink, Brent Harris, Dr. Jeff & Ann Goerss & Mary VanderWoude.
- First year of the Human Dog Sled Races at Parks Marina.
- Games were off of the ice due to Mother Nature taking it easy on us.
- Bonfire Web Co. designed the Polar Bear logo.
- First year The Milford Commercial Club hosting their Soup Fest at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.
- Chairpersons: Nick Stauss & Greta Gruys
- Cheerleaders: Diane Albers, Darcy Albers-Sundall, Jason Harrington, Cindy Mart, Norm Meinking, Dr. Eric & Sally Nielsen & Barry Sackett.
- The 36th Annual U of O Winter Games presented by Parks Marina/Barefoot Bar/Okoboji Boat Works.
- First year of Mega Snow Pong and the Swimsuits & Snow Boots Competition at The Okoboji Store.
- Inaugural Kickball Tournament at The Garden’s in Arnolds Park chaired by Joe Loring.
- Abby Goodenow, an intern at Bonfire Web Co., designed this year’s logo.
- Chairpersons: Greta Gruys & Ryan Davelaar
- Cheerleaders: Kevin Bice, Jona Forbes, Bethany Huseman, Gayla and Greg Place, Doug Stuevens, Amy Pas, and Abby Wilson
- The 37th Annual U of O Winter Games presented by Parks Marina/Barefoot Bar/Okoboji Boat Works.
- Tug-a-War, Keg Toss, Water Bottle Flip Competition, Fernson’s Pub Crawl, Bazaar Craft Show, and Bucket Casting Contest are among some of the new events this year.
- Lindie Towne with Web Graphics, Inc. designed this year’s logo.
- Chairpersons: Ryan Davelaar & Adelee Dixon
- Cheerleaders: John Hight, Susan Hoien, Brad Price, Al Krueger, Kiley Roth, Ann Meyer, Jim Hussong, and Dee Wermersen.
- Human Bowling, Bowl Hole, Hand Auger Races, Stein Holding Contest among new events this year
- Susan Travis of US Powertrain designed this year’s logo.
If you have anything you would like noted for Winter Games history, please send to email@example.com.